Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Buddyfink's Reviews: SpongeBob SquarePants - Face Freeze!


  Here is my first review on my blog. This review is going to be about me taking a good look in the episode of the notorious SpongeBob SquarePants that I have one different opinion on than the majority of people that I see critiquing this episode. That episode is none other than "Face Freeze!". In my opinion, I actually like this episode, shocking to say.

The premise of the episode is similar to that of the Season 1 episode known as "Hooky", as both episodes have Mr. Krabs warning Spongebob (and Patrick in "Face Freeze!") about something he's doing as wrong and the latter getting punished for doing so. This time, it's about making silly faces instead of playing around with hooks.

Honestly, the faces that Spongebob, Patrick, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs are the main highlights of the episode. Many people that I've seen had highly criticized this episode for that reason, which I can understand. Some people are squeamish on those crazy faces. It's an acquired taste for some people, it seems.

In order to see why I like these designs so much, we need to take a look at them themselves. It may not be for the faint of heart for some people, but I have to show what I'm talking about. If you don't like what you see, prepare your barf bags. I don't have one though, considering I don't get sick over wild expressions
Related imageRelated image
Related image
Related image

Robertryan Cory, the artist who did most of the faces in the episode (I think. He might've done all of them), has shown to be talented with drawing these faces, as the characters are distorted beyond belief and given such flair and insanity that I can't help but love. I give props to him for that talent alone. The creativity in these faces are off the rails!

Why do I like these wacky expressions so much? Well, it's because I'm into surreal and bizzare, and highly detailed stuff. These faces that are presented in this episode remind me of the works of Basil Wolverton, who did similar surreal expressions. It's a good reminder, as I think his style is awesome.

Some people may say that it would give kids nightmares and it's a bad thing, but I think differently. Some kids are into that sort of stuff, since Garbage Pail Kids, The Trash Pack, and Wacky Packages were popular. Not all children are alike, so some may do so. That's a side effect to many pieces of media: there's at least someone who's scared of them.

Honestly, I think people are giving flak to this episode because of the faces alone, and that would be the reason it was infamous. If "Face Freeze" had Spongebob and Patrick do funny faces that didn't go over the rails, would it be as infamous as it is now? Maybe, maybe not.

The writing on this episode is good too, as the humor and focus is on the funny faces. There's a clear direction on what's going on without padding, as parts such as Spongebob and Patrick showing the world their permanent funny face is a direct parallel to Mr. Krabs' story about Fred (the "My Leg!" guy) showing his faces to people, and foreshadows what's to come. There's a purpose to many of the scenes in the episode. Visual gags are also a highlight, as the faces are the main highlight.

Overall, I consider "Face Freeze!" a hidden gem, and I feel different from the popular opinion on this episode. I feel like it's okay for me to like it and for others to dislike or like it. After all, different strokes for different folks.

Anyways, that's my review on this episode. If you have any comments or problems with my review, please comment away. Your feedback can make my reviews better. It's alright to disagree with my points, since you're free to have a different opinion from me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment