Monday, February 18, 2019

The Big John K. Rant (Part 6) - Conclusion

  Now you may be asking yourself, "Why did Buddyfink make this series of blogs in the first place? It's been out there in many places". I've stated some of my reasons in the introduction, except for one. That reason being that I used to idolize this asshole.

Like many who didn't know the whole story of John and his sordid past, I made him one of my inspirations for drawing. His wacky style on The Ren And Stimpy Show inspired my style of art, along with other inspirations. However, now knowing what has been heard of, I think that I learned a few things over this time.

The first thing I learned is that even though the head of a cartoon is the first thing that pops up when you think of the people working on said cartoon, doesn't mean that that's the only thing that makes that show good or unique. Ren and Stimpy had a lot of talent behind it, such as the likes of Bob Camp, Jim Smith, Chris Reccardi, Lynne Naylor, Vincent Waller, along with other talented artists. They had as much, if not more involvement with Ren and Stimpy than John.

The second thing is that due to the many people that are involved in this work, I still think The Ren and Stimpy Show is a good show. The other artists and writers of the show had done as much good as John, maybe even better. Say what you will about Games Animation's seasons of Ren and Stimpy, but they at least tried to make it like what the show was. I feel like there was a burnout between the stress John gave to his former workers and working on Ren and Stimpy that caused the later episodes to deter in quality for some people. Even then, there were many good hits in the ballpark (like the hilarious character known as Wilbur Cobb).

The third thing is that sometimes, you need to separate the art from the artist. Although John had created Ren and Stimpy, they are now owned by Viacom. However, don't expect them to come back anytime soon. The Adult Party Cartoon's effects on Ren and Stimpy as a franchise made it so bad that no one wants them anymore. The sexual assaults by John K. didn't help things either.

The final thing is John K. is a liar, a manipulator, and abuser. Along with that, his drawings had devolved into chicken scratch. If you had any thoughts on commissioning him, please take these facts in mind about who John is.

And that is all I have to say about this issue. I will not ever idolize John K. ever again.

He is not my idol.

No comments:

Post a Comment